It’s that time of the year again! Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone! Festivities like this also points towards more open houses which equals more food to consume; more calories. So how do you handle yourself when attending an open house? Being healthy doesn’t mean that you have to avoid eating and lose out on the fun of the new year, it just requires you to be extra cautious. So I decided to share with you some tips that I usually give my clients.
WAYS TO HANDLE YOUR FOOD INTAKE DURING CHINESE NEW YEAR OPEN HOUSES
1. Have a light meal/snack before you leave the house (eg. a glass of low fat milk/ 2 pcs of bread)
2. Start off with the main course in an open house (eg. rice, meat and vegetables)
3. Drink only plain water (try avoiding carbonated drinks)
4. Take it easy when eating! This is not a contest so take your time! Finish your food in about 20 minutes; it makes you feel full.
5. Don’t jump on all the desserts; a slice of cake and some fruits will do.
6. I know most of the time when offered food during an open house that it is courtesy to take the food given. But that doesn’t mean that you have to eat everything! Tasting the food is courtesy, stuffing your face full is crazy!
7. Avoid fried, smothered, sauteed, creamed and battered food! Go for steamed, cooked, grilled, baked or smoked food. (If there are less options, be smart like taking only chicken breast without the skin)
8. STOP when you are no longer hungry or when you know that you have another 3 more houses to go! DON’T STOP only when you feel full!
9. It is okay to indulge ONCE IN A WHILE (indulging once a day is not “ONCE IN A WHILE”) but make sure to make up for it through exercise (eg. take the stairs!!)
I hope that these few pointers could be of some help to keep those extra calories away =). Happy Chinese New year to all and have a healthy joyful one!